Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Happy Tuesday! It's a snowman storytime!

Happy Tuesday everyone! Today we talked about all the fun things you can do in the snow! Our main focus was on snowmen. I felt it was up and down. When it was good, it was actually great. When it was not so good, I felt it was really bad. If anyone has suggestions of snowman books that aren't so saccharine sweet and overly schmaltzy. The ones I picked were so sweet, I might have lost a tooth somewhere.



The Books:
The Biggest, Best snowman by: Lisa Cuyler
Snowman Magic by: Katherine Tegen
The Smiliest Snowman by: M. Christina Butler


What we did:

1.) Ruby the Chicken builds a snowman- Ruby greeted the kids with her usual southern charm. She talked about things you can do in the winter time. She naturally said silly things that are warm weather activities, but finally she mentioned snowmen. Using flannel pieces we had the kids help Ruby build a snowman on the flannelboard.

2.) Action Rhyme: I built a snowman
I build a great big snowman (hold hands up high)
With an orange, carrot nose (point to your nose)
Along came a bunny (Make bunny ears and bounce)
And what do you suppose? (Shrug shoulders)
That hungry little bunny (Rub Tummy)
Looking for his lunch (Hold hand over eyes like you're looking)
Ate that snowman's nose! (Clap hands on Ate)
Nibble! Nibble! Crunch! (Pretend to eat)

3.) Fingerplay: Five Little Snowmen
Five Little Snowman standing in a row
Standing straight and tall in the bright white snow
Out came the sun, shining hot and bright all day
and one little snowman melted away

4.) www.gonoodle.com Brain breaks and body movement
We continued leveling our champion up. We repeated the same two gonoodle.com dances involving the Instant Insanity roller coaster and get yo body movin! We had a great time.

5.) Playtime- I already mentioned that when this storytime was good, it was great, I was speaking about playtime. I feel the three stations were a few of the strongest I've presented since switching my philosophy.
a.) Shaving Cream Snowman- The idea was to spray shaving cream in a bag, seal it, then glue eyes, mouth, and nose onto the bag. Good idea in theory. In practice, the kids ended up spreading the shaving cream all over the table and putting their snowman faces in that and just drawing in it and having a great time. I was inspired with their ingenuity. They took something fun and made it better. Excellent!














b.) Snowman puzzle- I got this idea from the teach preschool website. I printed out a template of two circles. I laminated them for future use. I then gathered buttons, felt noses, and sticks. I spread them out on a tray and covered them in snow. I had the kids use tweezers (or their fingers if they wanted to and didn't mind the cold) to pull the buttons and sticks out of the snow and design their own snowman. It was messy, but a great sensory and tactile experience that helped strengthen their fine motor skills.











c.) Corn tub- Fun for measuring, sensory, and group play. The kids love scooping, sifting, (sometimes flinging) the corn and it's easier to clean up than sand or rice!











Thanks for your click! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment