Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Hooray for letter P! It's story time Wednesday!

Good afternoon! Welcome to another story time Wednesday! It was rainy out, but we were all sunshine inside for letter P! For our story time I chose three safe stories. After last week I wasn't feeling like my luck would last because it usually doesn't. The first story we read was How I became a pirate by Melinda Long and David Shannon. I do a really good Pirate voice. Seriously. Ask me to do it sometime because it's awesome. It went over well. It's a bit longer than my kids are used to, but it held their attention the entire time and got some giggles. I also read Olivia and The Missing Toy by Ian Falconer. This was alright. There are some bald spots in the plot that don't make a lot of sense. But I love Olivia, and the kids like when she gets all dramatic. Last, but not least I went with one of the safest story books outside of The Pigeon and that is Pete the Cat: My Four Groovy Buttons. I have to share this story before moving on, but as you may know, I use a "Magic Hat" as a way to introduce books and topics. Well, today at the bottom of my hat I had about 20-30 buttons. Well, I dumped them on my head after pretending to try and pull them out of the hat and I said "Buttons, who knows a story about buttons?" And one little girl, starts jumping up and down, "PETE THE CAT! PETE THE CAT!" So we did it and it was great. Another mom checked it out for her little ones and, again, Pete was a hit.

So what did we do today?
ABC Action by Heidisongs
Greeting Song: We're All Here!
Here, here, We're all here!
Here, here, we're all here!
Here, here, we're all here!
We're here at story time!
Hello, ______. How are you?
Hello, ______. How are you?
Hello, ______. How are you?
I'm glad you're here today


Letter P song/dance by Heidisongs

Craft: Letter P Pirate (Arrgghh!)

Needs: 
White Paint pen (For drawing skulls. Yes I did them free hand. Yes they are awesome)
Black construction paper
Brown construction paper
Grey construction paper
glue sticks
black marker for eye patch strap
Googly eyes or eyeball stickers
First, cut out a letter P from an internet template. I downloaded a small pirate hat template and a small beard template from google images. I first traced the template onto craft foam, then used the foam as my template when I made the rest of the hats and beards. I then cut a small half circle out of the top of the hats, and drew a skull on them with the white paint marker. I used the scrap paper left over from the hats to make the eye patches. FUN!







1 comment:

  1. Love love love the pirate craft!! I am so going to use that sometime!

    ReplyDelete